Learning - Special Education
Over six million children with learning disabilities are entitled to free and appropriate public education in the United States. These disabilities include speech impairments, deafness, blindness, developmental delays, Autism, Asperger’s and many others. Simply put, many parents of these children generally have little to no idea of the wide array of services and resources to which their children are entitled under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and other civil rights laws. This lack of knowledge precludes them from exercising their rights, resulting in the effective denial of their rights.
Attorney Toussaint was one of these under-informed parents, so she had to learn how to navigate the system for her own son. Because of her experience, she can now help you successfully navigate the system for your child as well. Our firm will:
- Inform you about you and your child’s rights
- Attend Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings, mediations, and hearings with you and advocate for your child
- File suits against school boards for violations of you and your child’s rights (e.g., due process hearings, demanding compensatory services)
- Connect you to a group of parents with similar challenges as you
- ink you to resources to help with the emotional, physical, academic, and spiritual needs of your child